Monday, August 22, 2011

Equal News Coverage for Celebrity Gay Couples

It seems that celebrity news now carries news about gay couples. I pretty regularly look to see what news stories show on AOL, even though I normally don't look specifically at the "Entertainment" news section.

So today I see (1) an item about George Michael breaking up with his boyfriend, and (2) an item about Ricky Martin spotted vacationing with his boyfriend.

I believe that Americans devote much too much of their attention to celebrity news and gossip. (I mean, these are just people like you and me. My theory is that this celebrity mania stems from the 1930s when the publicity departments of Hollywood studios tried very hard to drum up interest in the lives of their film stars. But I think it's gotten worse and we have more and more magazines, TV shows, etc., with celebrity news.)

Still: While I'm quick to say that I don't think any celebrity news is among the most important of the day's events in the world, still I'm glad to see that maybe gay/lesbian people have become just as worthy of attention as anyone else. That is, as long as it's not done with the sort of tone that it might have been done with at one time--that is, in the day and age when any imputation of homosexuality would have been enough to ruin a celebrity's career.

Copyright (c) 2011 by Richard Stein

No comments:

Post a Comment