Wednesday, April 25, 2012

In Praise of Greek Yogurt

I have decided I need to stay away from regular yogurt. It is high in sugars (milk sugar or lactose) and causes my blood sugar to spike and then crash, so that I experience the symptoms of low blood sugar.

Greek yogurt is better: it's both lower in sugar and higher in protein. Greek yogurt, which is strained to remove some of the liquid component (whey), is thicker, somewhat like sour cream. It's been becoming very popular and now is in all the stores, though it's more expensive.

And, with Greek yogurt or regular yogurt, I never buy any of the flavored varieties, which have fruit and/or sweeteners added. They're higher in calories but, more important to me, I simply don't like them. To me, sweetening does not goes with the taste of yogurt and I actually find the flavored varieties distasteful.

Many people don't like the somewhat tart taste of plain yogurt but I don't mind it. This is probably because I was raised on cooking (Ashkenazic Jewish and Central/Eastern European) where sour cream is a common ingredient.

Update, June 29, 2012. Greek yogurt was just mentioned as one of 50 foods considered very healthful in an online article. Three of them were nuts and most of the rest were fruits and vegetables.

Copyright © 2012 by Richard Stein

No comments:

Post a Comment