Friday, September 7, 2018

Reason for the Catholic Church's Priest Sex Abuse Problem


Stories--you could say scandals--involving sexual abuse of young persons by Roman Catholic priests have been in the news lately, and this is not the first time by any means. It's been a repeated story and by now a long-standing vexation for the Church.

Now, I want to say as soon as I can and as strongly and emphatically as I can that pedophilia (sexual attraction to children) and homosexuality are two different phenomena and not connected. In fact, studies have shown that most men who have a sexual attraction to very young persons are heterosexual. However, I discuss both of these sexual inclinations here because I believe the Church is seen as a refuge for both of these categories of people.

Quite a few years ago, as a result of a position I then held, I was sent, anonymously, an article--also anonymous but supposedly written by an insider--with estimates of the percentages of homosexuals in the priesthood, in monasteries and convents, and in seminaries. The numbers were estimates, and even so I don't have them at my fingertips. Suffice to say they were surprisingly, amazingly high.

I have what I believe is a very reasonable explanation for these data.

What I believe happens is this: A (probably young) man or woman perceives in him/herself urges or attractions--for the same sex, for minors, or for both--which he has been taught (sometimes very emphatically) are wrong, shameful, sinful. He  sees the Church as a solution, believing that once he has taken his celibacy vows, his efforts and desire to remain true to those vows will help him to suppress those unacceptable desires.

Unfortunately, and very sadly, it typically does not work.

Copyright © 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment