Friday, June 19, 2009

TV Has Come to This?

I was channel surfing today. I don't know what channel or network this was, but I stopped at a guy sitting on a stool, holding a microphone. There was silence for a second or so, and then he loudly belched into the microphone.

I don't wish to be non-hip, or curmudgeonly, but is this art? Is this even entertainment? Does watching this enrich the lives of its viewers? Maybe this is some less highbrow (i.e., Joe Sixpack) version of a nihilist movement in art? I guess I should have perceived sooner that this is what TV has come to, since Homer Simpson and Peter Griffin ("Family Guy") love to make various biological noises. And I have to assume that this amuses some people. But it can't really require much talent to do this. What is the going rate for sitting on a stool in front of a TV camera and belching? Maybe there was more to this dude's act than that, but I didn't stick around to find out.

Copyright © 2009 by Richard Stein

No comments:

Post a Comment