Friday, June 26, 2009

Let's Put Ads in Even More Places!

It is a tribute to the ingenuity of capitalism that it never stops discovering, or inventing, new places to put advertising. We've already gotten so used to ads on top and the sides of taxis; on the inside and then outsides of buses and subway cars; and on bus shelters. I noticed ads on the tops of the tables in the mall's food court. A major move was when they started showing ads for the snack bar in movie theaters. And, as we know, if you do a Google search, there are listings which are paid--in other words, ads. I could even make some money by allowing ads on this blog.

I just started to play an online movie and it was preceded by a commercial.

I think I can suggest a few places to put ads that haven't been thought of yet, but I'm sure it would only be a matter of time:

How about ads on the underside of toilet seats in public toilets? No, wait a minute, women would never see them.

Ads on mousetraps?

Ads on the TV monitor that my dentist has in his office? Wait, I think they already have that: ads for teeth whitening and so on.

Ads on pizza boxes.

Ads on soda pop cans.

Maybe when I turn on the stereo in my car, ads could flash on the LCD digital display. Or do they already have that?

Update, December 24, 2011
A couple new (and maybe clever) places to put ads: A couple of months ago, the new(ish) Mayor of Chicago, Rahm Emanuel (former Obama White House staffer), gained some revenue for the City of Chicago by selling advertising on public spaces, for example the gigantic pylons at the entrance to a major downtown bridge. This has been controversial--rightly so, in my opinion.

And, I sent e-cards this year as Christmas cards, Chanukah cards, and several birthday cards. These were free cards, and I think that the recipients had to view advertising before being able to view their cards. If that's true I'm rather mortified.

Copyright © 2009 by Richard Stein

No comments:

Post a Comment