Thursday, December 24, 2009

Is the Right, Right?

Wall Street, bankers, insurance agents, doctors are just among the many American institutions that people used to be able to trust, but are not able to anymore. (I can't add politicians because there's plenty of anecdotal evidence that mistrust of politicians goes way, way back.) I hate to agree with the Right in any sense, but when they argue that ethics and morality have declined, I think I agree. But of course they include homosexuality (and marital infidelity and abortion) in with the evidence of moral decline, and of course there they and I would part company. They seem to be assured that anything having to do with sex is evil. One time I saw on TV a woman from a Phyllis Schlafly, Right-type organization debating a woman from the American Library Association on book censorship. The Right-wing lady was wearing a dress buttoned up to the neck, and I thought that said a great deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment