Saturday, December 26, 2009

Winter Wonderland

The other day this area had freezing rain. When I looked out my window, the trees and shrubs were encased in glass. Very pretty. I tried to take a picture, but it turned out to be one of those instances where, unless you are hugely talented as a photographer, it's very hard for the camera to capture what the eye sees.

Once the roads were no longer icy, I went out in my car. Stop signs and street signs had combs of little icicles hanging from them.

Today it's been snowing. I noticed that there were little footprints on my front porch. I opened the door and saw that an animal's paw prints went up the steps and onto the porch. I guess a furry visitor, probably a canine one, approached my front door but couldn't reach the doorbell.

Well, as I like to say, all this winter weather is very pretty; but cars and winter don't mix very well. I think I could live happily enough somewhere where it never snows. On the other hand, many people say they like the change of the seasons, and that it's boring and monotonous if the weather is always the same. I do have to say, once summer comes to Chicago, we value it and try to take advantage of it more than we would if we had it all year 'round.

Copyright © 2009 by Richard Stein

No comments:

Post a Comment