Friday, October 15, 2010

A Few Bons Mots

Some of these need the scene set.

One time I was having lunch with a colleague from work. When we got our food, she asked, "How is that miso soup?" I said, "It's really not that good. I'd call it mi-so-so."

At another job, I arrived at a departmental lunch. I'd made a stop on the way, at a sale of kitchen gadgets. So I mentioned that I'd just bought a tomato corer. JoAnne asked, "Is it a hard corer or a soft corer?" I replied, "Well, it starts out soft, but if you fondle it. . . ," whereupon I got a poke in the ribs.

Unfortunately, I don't always think that fast.

And, for those of you who know a wee bit of Yiddish: When Star Trek was in first run, I told my sister that when the show was shown in Israel, they called it Star Schlep.

Copyright © 2010 by Richard Stein

No comments:

Post a Comment