Thursday, November 11, 2010

Soup for People into Healthy Eating

I eat a lot of soup; can't keep myself supplied with it. But since I became concerned about the BPA that is in cans, including soup cans, I've been buying only soup in boxes (and occasionally those little one-serving cups where you add water and microwave them). Also, I won't buy any soup that's high in sodium--which excludes probably about 90% of soup, both in cans and boxes.

One brand that seems to have appeared recently is called FIG Food Company. I just had their lentil soup, which I thought was pretty good. I also had their Tuscan White Bean soup, but that one I found rather pretty bland.

These come in little boxes (two servings) for about $3. A similar one is Dr. McDougal's. Some of their soups are pretty good, and some are bland. You've got to sample them and see which ones you like.

Since low-sodium soups can be a bit bland or even cardboard-y, I often add some of my own herbs or spices, and that makes a very worthwhile improvement. For example, cumin for the lentil soup, basil for anything tomato-y, curry powder sometimes, pepper in almost anything. Maybe a little Tobasco.

Copyright (c) 2010 by Richard Stein

1 comment:

  1. Get a crockpot, Richard (as opposed to the crackpots who dominate some other blogs).

    One of my winter staples is slow-cooker soup. One of the easiest is the 15-bean soup mixes at the supermarket -- essentially a bag of assorted beans -- cooked all day in the crockpot with whatever leftovers happen to be in the fridge. Crockpot soup recipes abound, and you can make them as healthy or decadent as you prefer.

    ReplyDelete