Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A Bird in the Mind Is Worth. . . (or, Bein' Silly)

The other day I woke up, opened the blinds, and saw a bird out there. I said to him, "Bonjour, Monsieur le Oiseau." Why talk to the bird in French? Am I wrong to think it was a French-speaking bird? Well, maybe. Of course if it had been a goose, that would have been a more reasonable presumption: The geese we've got are Canada geese and, being from Canada, may well be French-English bilingual.

Another thought on birds: Why does a bird hop or walk when he could fly? My guess is that maybe he has used up his frequent-flyer miles.

Okay, a little bit more seriously: So many dogs and cats are famous. We've had famous dogs in the movies (Lassie and Rin-Tin-Tin, for anyone who can remember them, and, I'm sure, some more recent ones). And famous, if fictional, cats like Sylvester, Garfield, and Felix the Cat. And even animated-movie fish. But where are the famous birds? Maybe one of the most notable birds of history was Noah's dove, but that was long ago and you never hear about him anymore. I can think of two modern birds from the Warner Bros. cartoons, The Roadrunner and Tweety Bird (always a favorite). Can you think of any other famous birds? If I am right, there is some nefarious neglect, not to say prejudice, going on here.

Copyright (c) 2012 by Richard Stein

2 comments:

  1. Big Bird was pretty famous. Maybie not a super star but could always be counted on to "just wing it" Anyway there's most always activity of some sort with birds around the lake behind my place. The way the geese flock, honk, and at times divebomb from the air I'd look out below and take special care to not be "a sitting duck"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want to forget Donald or Daffy Duck after all they've done. Chicken Little made a name for himself too. It's probably wise to recall with respect since I sure don't want to experience anything like took place in Alfred Hitcock's "The Birds"

    ReplyDelete