Tuesday, February 23, 2010

More on Toyota

Toyota executives were questioned by members of Congress today about the problems with their cars.

Despite two or three recalls, it seems (1) that the problems with Toyota cars may not be fixed, and, (2) worse, that Toyota attempted to sweep some of its cars' problems under the carpet, trying to minimize recalls and thus save adverse impact on its profitability—at the cost of lives of Toyota owners and drivers.

As I have said before, it is possible that the computer software that controls modern car engines is responsible. Last night ABC News NightLine reporter Brian Ross, together with a Professor Gilbert, drove a Toyota Avalon which had been rigged to create a short circuit in the car's computer. This car experienced sudden and uncontrolled acceleration. Worse, the car computer's diagnostic output did not register that any problem had occurred.

In the face of this kind of publicity, Toyota is sitting up and taking notice. They worked late into the night to replicate Gilbert's experiment.

It is hard to imagine that the adverse publicity that Toyota has been getting could get any worse. I wonder if anyone has any idea of how many buyers are being steered (no pun) away from Toyota showrooms. I am sure that Toyota sales are going to take a hit and Toyota will probably lose money. How long will it be before they can recover? Well, people have shown, over and over, that they have short memories. But meanwhile, Toyota's competitors, both American and Asian, will gain sales that might otherwise have gone to Toyota. That's about the only thing anyone can be sure of.

Copyright © 2010 by Richard Stein

1 comment:

  1. I doubt that Toyota will suffer that much in the long haul. Recalls aren't anything new regarding any foreign or domestic auto supplier. I'm sure Toyota is looking into the source of the glitch and will take care of it. I doubt also that Toyotas inclination toward profit making in the face of recalls varies much if at all from their competitors. I'm not saying that I wouldn't consider another car make than a Toyota but the Toyota I own has lasted far longer and out-(error-permormed) performed any American made car that I've owned to date. I have friends with new Toyotas that have been recalled to check out the recent problem but so far have not been told that their cars were experiencing mechanical failure. Undoubtably I'll check out Asian, American, German or any other products out there the next time I car shop. But when money is tight and past performance comes into consideration I won't rule out a Toyota at least not right away.

    ReplyDelete